You Have Made a Difference

As I write this, it is the last official week of the school year. My twelfth year of teaching has been full of unexpected and unprecedented events. Our fourth quarter of learning was time of quarantine, social distancing, and distance learning. At the end of last week, I was blessed to be able to venture out of my home and make deliveries to each of my 18 kindergarten students' homes. In March, I thought we would be coming back before the end of the year and that it wasn't goodbye. So at the beginning of May, I made little packages for them as a tangible goodbye that I dropped in their mailbox or front door. In the package included classroom work from hallway displays, personalized labels, and their free Scholastic books for April and May. I have to say this project and task was impactful. This year has been different but I know in my heart I helped make a difference to set a positive foundation for my student's education. The final part of this school year all over the world has impacted the lives of students, parents, and teachers. 
  • Students have persevered to continue their learning.
  • Parents have persevered to balance their lives either being an essential employee, working from home, or staying strong in the midst of no income.
  • Teachers, school staff, and administrators have persevered becoming creative and learned in a matter of days how to reach and continue to make a positive impact in their students' lives.
Thank you to each and everyone that has continued to make a positive impact in the lives of their homes and communities during this unprecedented time.

As this school year draws to a close, I think back to my first year teaching. Mostly because that group of 20 first graders are a part of the graduating class of 2020. My first teaching job was overseas. I was 22 and very much out of my secure element. Praise the Lord that Skype had already been invented so I could stay in touch with my family. A few years ago, while my mom was helping my husband and I unpack in our "new to us" home she found a small handmade book with the title "You Made a Difference." My mom is not one to sit during a job but she took the time to read it. She later said to me that I should keep this book out so I can look at it whenever I need encouragement. The book was made by the families of my first class.

Looking back through this book, I want to briefly talk about a student that I would have never thought I made an impact and difference like I did as his first grade teacher. When I met this young boy, I knew right away he always had a song in his heart. So in every way I could fathom I would incorporate music and songs in the lessons I taught. He even sang to me everyday on our walk to the pick up area which was across the school's campus. We were in a tropical climate so it was either hot and dry or hot and rainy. More often than not he was in front of the line holding my hand.
Photos my student's mom placed in my "You Have Made a Difference" book.

Thanks to social media, after I moved back to the states I was able to keep in touch with this student's family. As he has grown he has flourished in his musical talent and now has a YouTube Channel. His mom has talked multiple times how he has never forgotten how I would let me sing and that I would sing to or with him during that first grade year. He has even mentioned that he has not forgotten our musical walks at the end of each day. Teachers, you make a difference, it may not always be in ways that you thought. Believe me, I am not Julie Andrews teaching a group of children to become singers and musicians. I can carry a tune, most of the time, but definitely don't prefer to have my voice showcased for all. I am a teacher and a teacher doesn't just teach reading, writing, and arithmetic. A teacher has many hats. I like how schoolimprovement.com explains it:
Picture Link 
With each post, I want to end with encouragement. Today, I have two. One is from Colossians 3:23:
"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men."
The other is a song written from my former student. Be sure to check out his YouTube Channel. See You on Monday

Comments

Popular Posts